deputyknittersblog

I am a self employed paraprofessinoal and mom of three beuatiful children. Knitting has become an absolute passion and stress buster and my true addiction! I go no where without my knitting bag and alwyas have mutliple projects in the works!

Sunday, July 23, 2006

I have saved this vendor to stand on their own! They were by far my most favorite of all the vendors and had Lula and I transfixed. While the booth was only about 7 feet by 10 feet with a large table in the middle it took us hours to get through! They had the most incredible textiles I have ever ever seen!!!! If you are ever looking for something different and non traditional Habu Textiles is for you! Many of the material LOOKED to be one way (rough - heavy etc) and upon touch would be totally the opposite! We had a blast touching EVERYTHING in this booth!

Habu Textiles has a studio right in the city and we are planning a guild trip to their studio which is open to the public and you are able to buy at the studio as well. The textures and materials put you into sensory overload and the best part is believe it or not the fibers/materials are very affordable. Lula tells me the studio actually has panels knitted up of the different yarns so that you can see exactly what it looks like in finished form. At the show the only thing they did have room for were sweaters that were so unique in design and material that I KNOW I will be buying a kit on the trip with the guild. There will be more news to follow on when we will take the trip. It was hoped that perhaps we could do it on the same Sunday as the NYC Knit out!

Here is my review and pictures of Habu Textiles. Please do check them out and I promise you will not be disappointed!!!

Habu Textiles Booth Number: 307
135 W 29th St Suite 804
New York, NY 10001
(212)239-3546
Fax: (212)239-3546
Email: habu@habutextiles.com
http://www.habutextiles.com/

ONE OF MY FAVORITES!!!!!! This booth was tiny and yet it took me 40 minutes to get through it the first time and Lula and I returned three more times! It was a tactile DREAM. Truly the MOST INCREDIBLE fibers I have EVER seen or touched. Fiber after fiber I would touch expecting one thing and finding it to be different than I thought ! You would expect one fiber to be heavy and rough and it would be light as air and as soft as could be. The most incredible combinations including bamboo, banana thread, traditional fibers mixed with real metal. There are NO WORDS to describe what an incredible display this was. The best part was that the skeins are small and affordable. Kits were available and there were some of the most incredible sweaters – VERY unique and different! I was on overload on this booth and returned multiple times to admire and touch these INCREDIBLE fibers! Lucille stated that their studio is incredible and has the various fibers knitted into pieces on display. I confirmed with vendor that the studio was open to public and that we could have a guild visit and as long as it was 20 people or under it could be done without even calling first if we chose. She stated we were welcome and could call and let them know we were coming but that the studio was open to the public.

IN FUTURE: Order the grayish sweater that was loose and with a collar (do NOT remember the fiber – VERY light and airy!!!) – kit was $90.00. Purchase the twine for the chair seat knitting pattern (to redo an antique chair)
ALSO: Arrange for a Guild trip to the studio – the Guild Members would LOVE this trip.

Purchased:
1 Spool of green nubby thread with an iridescent purple running through it.
Item # A-172 1/14 spiral slub Color 5, 51% wool, 20% polyester 29% nylon 435 yards/ 1 oz $6.45

1 skein creamy grayish ecru100% tassar silk. Item #A-142, 1/7.5 tassar silk, Color 41, 100% silk. 116 yards/0.5 oz $7.30

1 reel of fine silver 30 gauge Item # AC-1 fine silver Color 1 99.9% fine silver 33 yards $19.50

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home