deputyknittersblog

I am a self employed paraprofessinoal and mom of three beuatiful children. Knitting has become an absolute passion and stress buster and my true addiction! I go no where without my knitting bag and alwyas have mutliple projects in the works!

Sunday, October 01, 2006

I wanted to share another oversized vest - this one for a man. After all of the success with the button vest that I knitted for myself (pattern in Knit1 magazine ) on the 50 needles (see previous posting) that was such a hit with everyone - and after wearing it to my son's football game on a cooler day - I thought wouldn't it be nice to do one for my husband! Our anniversary was last week and I decided to do this about three weeks ago. I was admiring the yarn Lucille had used in the early September meeting to exhibit cable work. I thought the green was awesome and it was a nice chunky and it showed off the cabling so well. When I told Lucille of my thoughts she asked why I would not do a cabled vest?! Despite having taken the Melissa Leapman cable class in PA at the Annual TKGA Knit Show- I still had not actually done a cable project and I figured why not? I then started the hunt for a vest that I liked the look of and brought it to Lucille. Ray has always been a vets person and prefers v necks so I searched the internet and magazines for ones that I liked the looks of and brought them to Lucille. She told me I could do a plain back and three cables up the front of the vest - I told her I wanted a v neck pull over and I wanted the vest to be a heavy one that was large enough that Ray could wear over a few layers and use in place of a jacket. She then suggested a v neck in which the cable spluits and climb either side of the V in the neck.

The more Lucille and I talked and planned the more I became determined to do it. We are big Army football fans and spend alot of time tailgating and going to the games and I thought this would just be a great peice of knit wear to keep him warm and if I did not mess it up too badly he would love it!

Lucille went to work on her new sweater wizard software and perfected a pattern for me. She walked me through the pattern and I started in panicked frenzy to get it done for September 28th. I knitted in closed rooms and at the shop. I snuck around with that big thing and every spare minute away from him I was furiuosly working - I actaully was LOVING baseball for those two weeks because it kept him downstairs and allowed me to work in secret - HA! It went pretty quickly and despite some difficulty in figuring out different steps and having to alter the size (because Lucille entered "oversized" the computer I would have ended up with a virtual dress of a sweater!) while I was knitting - it did come out well. The only problem at the end was knowing the v would be too low. I presented it to Ray on our anniversary - had him put it on and the v was too low. Lucille helped me get it to a reasonable opening and Ray loves it. He even said this morning not to share his "original ROGO knitwear designed sweater" on the blog and refused to model it for a picture. "ROGO?" I asked - he said "Yes,your two last names combined!" I laughed - Hey Lucille, what do you think?? - he may have something there! You could do the design work and I can be the frustratated knitter! Hey - maybe a change in careers in the works.... NOT!!!!
Lucille was wonderful and I am so thankful to her that I could make my husband a beautiful unique piece that he will wear for many years to come! It is actually the first piece I have knitted for him (and completed - I have been battling a cashmere blend vest (he knows of THAT project and reminds me of its unfinished state quite often) for him for almost a year now!).

Well, Another project done and I told Lucille I am becoming frightened that I will never do anything but chunky patterns now - they are so satisfying and Instant gratification too! In fact Lucille and I uncovered a bunch of chunky patterns this week and I found myself drawn to them and wanting to do them. So perhaps there will be more projects in the near future on "Big stix"!

Speaking of BIG projects ....
I will be calling all that signed up at the shop for the oversized vest class. it will be held Saturday, October 14th from 12 to 3. I look forward to seeing you all there. Meanwhile, if you did not originally sign up and are interested... please get to the shop and see if Lucille can order your yarn for that date or offer a substitution! I am looking forward to seeing all of you there!

I WILL be calling the people that signed up and telling them in person - probably on Tuesday. Any questions - please give me a call!

Keep the needles and hooks flying!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home